Compatibility with Nokia E61
Since Version 1.1 of Syncevolution, the Nokia E61 is correctly identified as NOKIA by sync-ui and the synchronization is correctly handled. No further configuration is needed. if you have Syncevolution 1.1 please ignore all my notes below. Just a single warning: the current version of syncevolution has a bug, preventing me to two-way sync after I make a change on any entry of my addressbook through Evolution (on the server side).
Nokia E61 works but withs some tricks. Please follow my instructions carefully and never ever forget to backup your data first.
|Phone firmware version|
|Data that can be synchronized||contacts/events/|
|Data that has problems||**|
|SyncEvolution version||1.0 beta 3/1.0/...|
|SyncEvolution platform||Linux desktop - Ubuntu 9.10 and Ubuntu 10.04|
|Configuration template included in SyncEvolution:||Nokia S40|
note for syncevolution 1.0.1:
this new version uses the ID's of the devices as the configuration names, therefore please substitute "your-device-ID" instead of "nokia s40" in the instructions below.
The new sync-ui GUI now seems to work, but I still experienced some intermittent troubles (access denied in the remote server) and therefore decided to continue to use the shell interface.
*Works, but with some tricks:
- must pair the device before, through the bluetooth applet or Blueman
- Can use the sync-ui GUI, ONLY FOR INITIAL PHONE DETECTION AND PHONE TYPE ASSIGNMENT. After pairing the device, run sync-ui and let it detect the phone and manually choose the s40 configuration. Then hit the "save and use" button. DO NOT SYNC YET.
- in the ~/.config/syncevolution/default/peers/nokia s40 directory, edit the file config.ini and change properly the remoteIdentifier parameter to PC Suite.
- now enter the directory ~/.config/syncevolution/default/peers/nokia s40/sources/addressbook and edit the config.ini file: choose an appropriate mode for syncronization (see below).
- in the same file set the type as addressbook
- set the URI as Contacts.
- repeat for the file config.ini in the directory: ~/.config/syncevolution/default/peers/nokia s40/sources/calendar
- set the type as calendar
- set the uri as Calendar
- now enter the directory ~/.config/syncevolution/default/peers/nokia s40/sources/calendar+todo
- edit the file config.ini and set the mode to none
To avoid problems, please pay attention to the very first synchronization:
The following operations will substitute all Contacts in your phone with those in Evolution. If you want to do the other way, substitute below the string "refresh-from-server" with the string "refresh-from-client".
- backup both the phone memory (to the SD card) and your Evolution directory
- empty your phone addressbook and calendar
- DANGER!: set the sync mode in the config.ini files to refresh-from-server. Otherwise you will wipe out all your data from Evolution.
- perform a first sync SEPARATELY only for Contacts and, after that, only for Calendar. This can be done by setting in the respective config.ini files the sync type to "none" for the source you are not going to sync.
- In other words, you want to: exclude calendar and sync only addressbook, and then exclude addressbook and sync only calendar.
After the first sync you can set both configs to two-way. BUT: in my case, I still have to perform every sync separately, i.e. every time I sync, I have to sync addressbook alone first and then calendar alone. I wrote a short script to do this and linked it to an icon on my desktop.
DON'T USE THE SYNC-UI interface for changing configuration and/or for synchronizing, as it does not manage the whole complexity of the config.ini file and might mess up your configuration. Instead, use the usual command:
syncevolution "nokia s40"